Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Complementary and Alternative Medicine uses medical products and practices not usually used during standard neurology visits. On the other hand, you and many others have likely used complementary and alternative medicine to treat your brain and nerve symptoms.
How can CAM work for you?
It's important for you to know that CAM has been supported by medical research. Furthermore, if you have a chronic and disabling neurological condition, CAM may help you to:
- √Cope with the certain symptoms such as nausea, pain, and fatigue, that can occur with chronic disease
- √Relieve stress
- √Help you participate in self-care
- √Help to boost your natural neuro chemicals
- √Promote healing
What are some examples of complementary medicine?
- Mind and body practices like acupuncture, massage therapy, and tai chi are excellent for pain, nerve and balance problems.
- Moreover, natural products like herbs, dietary supplements, and probiotics can help to decrease your use of over-the-counter or prescriptions medications.
- Likewise alternative health approaches such as homeopathy and naturopathy can be helpful in healing from cancer and maintaining your reproductive health.
CAM for Women
Women will suffer from side effects of traditional medical treatment. As a result, if you are a woman you should be talking about CAM treatment options with your providers. In addition, prescription drugs for neurological disorders may cause more side effects in women. As a result, many patients and their families turn to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
CAM for Neurological Disorders
Conditions such as ALS and Parkinson's, spinal cord injury and epilepsy are common and often very disabling. Available cures for these neurological conditions, however, are limited. Furthermore, people with these conditions will often battle with the disease and related symptoms over long periods of time.
You can also use selected, evidence-based CAM therapies for the prevention and treatment of brain and nerve problems such as: migraine, carpal tunnel syndrome, and dementia. Most importantly, you should know that there is growing evidence that mind-body medicine, supplements, and acupuncture can help! So if you are a migraine sufferer, if you are caring for someone with dementia or if you have a nerve problem like carpel tunnel syndrome, you can learn more about CAM therapy options.
Learn about the many benefits and possible risks of CAM therapies with articles below.